PPA Orlando Cup: Thu Sep 9 - Sun Sep 12, 2021 (Recap)
RESULTS (GOLD, SILVER, BRONZE):
- Men's Pro Singles – Ben Johns, Tyson McGuffin, Jw Johnson.
- Women's Pro Singles - Anna Leigh Waters, Lea Jansen, Callie Smith.
- Pro Mixed Doubles – Catherine Parenteau & Riley Newman, Jessie Irvine & Jay Devilliers, Lucy Kovalova & Matt Wright.
- Pro Men's Doubles – Ben Johns & Matt Wright, AJ Koller & Jw Johnson Dekel Bar & Adam Stone.
- Pro Women's Doubles – Anna Leigh Waters & Leigh Waters, Simone Jardim & Lucy Kovalova, Jessie Irvine & Catherine Parenteau.
SR. PRO RESULTS (GOLD, SILVER, BRONZE):
- Sr. Pro Men's Singles – Paul Olin, David Spearman, Mark Palus.
- Sr Pro Women's Singles – PickleballTournaments.com has the note "Partial results have been posted" Bronze went to Charo Chisholm; with Sue Johnston vs. Julie Johnson scheduled to play for GOLD, but no match results.
- Sr. Pro Mixed Doubles – Currently no results available on PickleballTournaments.com
- Sr. Pro Men's Doubles – Dave Weinbach & Dayne Gingrich, Mills Miller & John Sperling, Paul Olin & Scott Crandall.
- Pro Women's Doubles – Leslie Bernard & Kim Kesner, Mary Helen Atkins & Sarah Mitten, Gigi Fernandez & Helen Wilhelm.
Find the full results and brackets (for final scores) on PickleballTournaments.com.
HOW TO REWATCH? All of the Thursday - Saturday matches, as well as the Pro Mixed Doubles GOLD on Sunday evening, can be found on PPA’s YouTube channel. However, all of the Pro Finals on Championship Sunday were broadcast live on Tennis Channel. And I'm not actually sure what TC's "archive" situation is, so I don't believe there is currently a way to watch those replays. But I'll update this post if/when I learn more info.
PRODUCTION: I will say that the Tennis Channel production team did an excellent job on Championship Sunday! That's the most cameras I've ever seen on a Pickleball court. And great entertaining commentary Morgan Evans & Noah Eagle! Kudos & bravo to all at TC!! Very momentous for Pickleball. :)
SIDE NOTE: Entertaining blog commentary from Slim & Gritty at No Man's Land Pickleball...
TIDBITS OF INTEREST (written before the tournament began):
- This event is being held on the USTA National Campus in Orlando Florida. That's the United States Tennis Association. Having Tennis Channel dip their toe into Pickleball could be a BIG step forward for Pro Pickleball as, in my opinion, Tennis Channel is the natural audience for Pickleball. So it'll be very interesting to see how this event goes.
- In Pro Mixed Doubles (Friday), we'll see great teams like Simone Jardim & Ben Johns, Lucy Kovalova & Matt Riley, Catherine Parenteau & Riley Newman, Callie Smith & Tyson McGuffin, Anna-Leigh Waters & Kyle Yates, Lauren Stratman & Pat Smith, Corrine Carr & Adam Stone, Vivienne David & Dekel Bar, Leigh Waters & Tyler Loong, Irina Tereschenko & Steve Deakin (hoping his wrist is better by then).
- In Men's Pro Doubles (Saturday), Ben Johns & Matt Wright will be teaming up again for only the second time in 2021. Plus, Tyson McGuffin & Riley Newman, Adam Stone & Dekel Bar, AJ Koller & Jw Johnson, Rob Nunnery & Pat Smith, Steve Deakin & Collin Johns, Joey Farias & Jeff Warnick. Noticeably absent: Jay Devilliers. (Update: I guess Jay made it to Orlando after all, capturing a Silver in MXD with Jessie Irvine. :)
- With 13 teams in Women's Pro Doubles (also Saturday), we have a deeper than usual bracket for the Women to battle through. Likely favorites are Simone Jardim & Lucy Kovalova, Catherine Parenteau & Jessie Irvine, Leigh & Anna-Leigh Waters, Callie Smith & Corrine Carr, Lauren Statman & Michelle Esquivel, Irina Tereschenko & Lea Jansen.
- The Men's Pro Singles draw (Thursday) has 31 players, including Ben Johns, Tyson McGuffin, Jw Johnson, Dekel Bar, Frank Anthony Davis, Spencer Smith, AJ Koller, and Kyle Yates.
- The Women's Pro Singles draw (also Thursday) has 12 players, including Anna Leigh Waters, Catherine Parenteau, Callie Smith, Irina Tereschenko, Lea Jansen, and Simone Jardim.
WHO: Full team & player list available here at PickleballTournaments.com.
THIS POST SPONSORED BY: Jigsaw Health #ThursdayThreads. Not only does Jigsaw Health make the best hydration & recovery products for Pickleballers that keep you energized & cramp-free on the courts, Jigsaw also makes funny Pickleball shirts like this one:
#ThursdayThreads are available in comfy tri-blend t-shirts, sports performance shirts, tank-tops, etc. And in various colors and sizes! (There's even shower curtains and skateboards.) Click here to browse through the entire #ThursdayThreads collection.
Bwraaaaack...Thx for using PickleballParrot.com! ;-)
Please share this post on your social channels to help grow Pro Pickleball!
And check out the full upcoming Pro Pickleball schedule here.